I searched around for a recipe for coconut ice and found this one.
Seems as though there are 2 types one with condensed milk that is more like a 'Bounty'
Coconut Ice
The recipe said makes about 50
2 1/2 floz milk
2 1/2 floz water
1lb granulated sugar
4oz dessicated coconut
1/2oz butter
1/2 teasp vanilla essence
pink food colouring
Pour milk and water into a pan and bring to the boil
Add sugar and butter, heat slowly, stirring until sugar dissolves and butter melts
Bring to the boil. Cover pan and boil gently for 2 mins.
Uncover and continue to boil, stirring occasionally for 7-10 mins or until a little of the mixture, dropped into a cup of cold water forms a soft ball when rolled gently between thumb and finger. Temp on a sugar thermometer should read 116C or 240F
Remove from heat, add coconut and vanilla.
Beat briskly until mixture is thick and glossy.
Pour half into an 18cm (7inch) square tin lined with greaseproof paper.
Quickly colour the remainder pale pink and spread over white layer.
Leave to cool until firm and cut into squares
I have to say I only made 20 squares so not sure why that was - must have been super large.
You have to work quickly with it, and I tried cutting with a knife the first time. second time I just broke into chunks for a more rustic look
They look very good. Thank you so much for sharing. :)
ReplyDelete