I have childhood memories of my parents with a load of runner beans that they had grown on the allotment, and no freezer - yes really - we didn't have a freezer...they only became affordable and popular in the late 60s early 70s - I think we had one before other people as we had so many vegetables that needed freezing! see it tells you all about it here: http://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_britain/70s/70s_high_tech_household.html :) .
I remember us all in the kitchen with a bean slicer at the kitchen table, piling them into glass sweet jars - you know the type that sweetshops have boiled sweets and salting them as a way to preserve them. I have just found a link here to prove that I wasn't going crazy... http://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-preserving-beans.htm
and then delving a little bit further it seems as though some people recommend this way of preserving over freezing - here is a youtube video and HFW-forum.

I personally remember them tasting quite salty, but that may not be accurate - I was a bit fussy as a child! And I am pretty sure that my parents added more salt to cooking than I have ever done, and maybe they didn't rinse them enough?
So back to the bean slicer you fed in the beans and turned the handle a bit like a mincer...it was clamped to the table. I have searched around and it was a bit like this one - ours used to have a little gadget on the top that you slid the beans along to 'string' them, no most of the varieties are stringless anyway. I wonder if my parents still have it?
We do have a modern hand held one - no where near as quick, and not so much fun as we all had turning the handle.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.